The Shropshire Ornithological Society (SOS) was formed in 1955 with the aims of encouraging the study and protection of birds in Shropshire and elsewhere, organising a wide range of activities and producing publications to this end, and co-operating with other bodies with similar aims. This website serves the needs of the branch of the Society in Church Stretton. All members of the SOS (and non-members) are welcome to take part in branch activities as well as the main activities of the Society.
♦ Please note that, owing to the continuing covid-19 pandemic and a lack of information on when our meeting venue will become available, the rest of the 2020-21 season meetings have been cancelled. As of now, we expect the first meeting to be in October, 2021.
♦ GOOD NEWS! ONLINE ALTERNATIVES TO CANCELLED MEETINGS
- Starting in the New Year, as many of the main society monthly meetings as possible will be held online using Zoom. The first of these was held in early January – you should have received an invitation if your email address in the membership database is correct.
- The next online meeting will be on Wednesday, 3rd February 2021 at 7:15 pm, when Ashley Grove will present an illustrated talk on “Mammals and Birds of Trinidad and Tobago”, an exploration of these beautiful Caribbean Islands to showcase the wildlife that calls them home.
- Members who normally attend the Church Stretton branch meetings are, of course, very welcome to participate in these Zoom sessions.
- We will announce these meetings by email, using the email address in the SOS membership database. If your have not provided an email but want to receive the invitations, please contact the Membership Secretary as soon as possible to rectify this. Likewise, if your email address has changed.
- We hope to see you online!
♦ NEWLY RELEASED! The Strettons Area Community Wildlife Group – Shropshire Ornithological Society (Church Stretton Branch) Bird Survey Results 2020. To download a copy of this report, select this link.
Indoor meetings are normally held from October to March (excluding December) on the fourth Monday of the month. The venue is The Methodist Church Hall, Watling Street, Church Stretton [MAP] and meetings commence at 7:30 p.m., although doors generally open around 7:00. The postcode for the hall location is SY6 7BG. Admission is free to members: non members are very welcome (admission £2, including refreshments).
Indoor Meeting Programme
Indoor meetings are cancelled for the remainder of the 2020-21 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, SOS members from Church Stretton are very welcome to attend online meetings of the main society (see above.)
SOS (Church Stretton) Email List
We would like to compile a list of email addresses of SOS members in the Church Stretton area and those who attend our meetings (whether members or not) in order to send out event reminders and to warn you of cancellations and changes. If you would like to be included on this list, please send your name in an email and identify the list you wish to be added to as the “SOS Church Stretton email list”. Your address will be used only for publicising SOS and related events and will not be provided to any outside parties under any circumstances.
Making your Bird Sightings Count
There are several opportunities locally to contribute to bird surveys that will enhance our knowledge of bird life in south-central Shropshire and contribute to conservation efforts.
Community Wildlife Groups. There are twelve Community Wildlife Groups in Shropshire, with several covering most of the Shropshire Hills. All are doing bird surveys, and would welcome the involvement of other birdwatchers. For information, see the Shropshire Community Wildlife Group website.
Records Needed of Threatened Species. Leo Smith is interested in all breeding season records of Lapwing, Curlew, Dipper, Barn Owl and Red Kite. Check here for information on sending him your observations.
You can contact us using the following email address links.
- Chair: Heather Williams
- Vice-Chair: Darrell Locke
- Secretary: David John
- Website Editor: John Arnfield
All external links on this website open in a new window or tab.
- Shropshire Ornithological Society
- RSPB, Shropshire Local Group
- RSPB, South Shropshire Local Group
- Shropshire Wildlife Trust
- Shropshire Wildlife Trust (Strettons Branch)
- Shropshire Community Wildlife Groups